Thursday, September 30, 2010

Approval Addiction

I'm an approval addict.  There it is.

Can anyone else relate?

I crave to be approved of by others.  I fear the rejection of others.  I long for people to know me, and like me.  I'm scared of being disliked.  I invite and hope for people to bring my soul its ultimate satisfaction.

And it doesn't work.  It never works.  After the praise of man gives a mere foretaste of satisfaction, my soul continues to feel empty and craves for something more.

My soul longs for something more than what any mere man can offer.  C.S. Lewis speaks a beautiful word to this:  If we discover a desire within us that nothing in this world can satisfy, also we should begin to wonder if perhaps we were created for another world. 


These longings and cravings lead me to believe we were created for another world.  A bigger world.  A more beautiful world.  A more satisfying world.  A world in which we know the author of our story.


A member of Cross Point Church (Nashville, TN) shares her story of approval addiction and ends with a captivating thought.  Watch it here: 
Stephanie Paige Story from Cross Point Church on Vimeo.

1 comment: